Will not keep registration details

Discussion of KioWare Lite edition.

Moderators: Lynn, jkruper, SAldinger, bbosley, awarnick

Will not keep registration details

Postby dirtjockey » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:32 am

Hi,

does anyone have an answer for this?, I was runnning a demo copy of kioware lite I then purchased a license - i entered that into the application - it came back and said it was fine. It all worked until I restarted the machine and it restarted Kioware in Demo mode - so I went and re-entered all of the details but it said that "I had reached the number of licenses" - so I uninstalled the application - re installed it and re entered all of the details but got exactly the same response. So because I was desperate and need this unit to ship to a client for a project they were working on I order another copy of kioware lite to go on the same machine and this did exactly the same thing - worked fine the first time but as soon as I restarted the machine it came up in demo mode - this time however it said the transaction code was not correct (it was)

any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

de
dirtjockey

Re: Will not keep registration details

Postby awarnick » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:04 am

Most times this happens because hardware changed on the computer from the time you licensed. To make sure of that, write down the system code from the Config Tool when you license. When it becomes unlicensed, open the Config Tool again, and see if the system code changed. If it did, consider what you might have changed. Did you remove a wireless network card or disconnect from a virtual private network? License KioWare in production state, if possible. Many users will license with the Ethernet card, and then disable it in production because they are using a wireless card. They have two choices that would work:

1. License KioWare with only the Ethernet enabled, and leave it enabled.
2. Disable all network adapters and license manually. To do so, you need to send sales your transaction number, authorization code, and system code from the Config Tool. Make sure you opened the Config Tool AFTER you disabled the network cards.

Another common cause of KioWare saying it is not licensed (after you install a valid license) is two copies of KioWare running in different user accounts. I do not think that is your case though because you just rebooted.
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
877 843-4790 x490 (Toll Free USA)
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby dirtjockey » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 am

I changed Nothing - absolutely nothing - I installed a copy of kioware & bought a license - got the system online (with a wireless USB modem) and got the rego number - quit and restarted Kioware all good - restarted the machine and it was in Demo mode - I went S**t - because this unit needed to ship out. So the next day I restarted the machine thinking it might have been a glitch somewhere. The system was still in Demo mode - the unit needed to ship out so in I then bought another copy of kioware for the same machine. I uninstalled kioware downloaded a new version and reinstalled - opened it, got a license, closed the application and restarted - worked fine not in Demo mode. Shut the machine down and restarted and it restarted in Demo mode - same machine No changes (it was a matter of minutes from start to finish) - nothing added (except the new copy of kioware).

• I double checked all of the numbers in all of the fields i.e. transaction number etc and all were correct but it still gave the error message

• There is only one user account on the system.

• The unit has a wireless internet connection ( a vodaphone USB modem) - it is on a contract and has not been removed from the machine since any of this problem started.

I can now not look at the machine and make any changes until it comes back (it has been hired out for 10 days) - so it is currently running in demo mode - I'm not very happy because it does not look professional but at least it does work.

thanks
dirtjockey

Postby awarnick » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:42 am

The problem with wireless cards is that they usually do not show a MAC address unless they are connected to a network. Are you seeing a "licensing check in progress" and then a "this kiosk is not licensed" message in KioWare? You will see the "licensing check in progress" message for 10 minutes during boot. During that time, KioWare is waiting for a MAC address to show up, just in case you licensed against a wireless card. After 10 minutes, if the MAC does not show up, KioWare will say not licensed. This is the reason we always recommend disabling wireless cards when you license. Keep in mind, that whatever network interfaces you leave enabled when you license, must remain enabled when you deploy.
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby dirtjockey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:02 pm

So does that mean that I don't have the flexibility of using a wireless card one day and then the next day using a ADSL connection that I plug into? - you have to use exactly what it was licensed with?

thanks

de
dirtjockey

Postby awarnick » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:59 am

No. When I say leave the Ethernet enabled, I don't mean actively use. For instance, you can be using the wireless card for Internet access (or LAN access) and not be using the Ethernet at all, but the Ethernet is enabled, it just does not have a cable plugged into it. The reason you need to leave it enabled is because when you disable it, Windows will not show a hardware address for it. Again, leaving it enabled does not necessarily mean you are using it. To enable or disable a network device, go into network connections and right click on them. There is an enable and disable option there.

I will give an example:

1. Let's say, when you licensed KioWare, that you had the Ethernet and wireless enabled. KioWare (by chance) used the wireless card hardware address (among other variables) to generate the system code. This would mean that you would always need to have the wireless enabled when you ran KioWare. The Ethernet would not matter at all, even though you had it enabled when you licensed. Notice that was "by chance"; KioWare could have just as easily used the Ethernet hardware address.

To prevent KioWare from generating a system code based on a piece of hardware that is unreliable, such as a wireless card, you need to disable it when you license. If you have a reliable piece of network hardware that you can leave enabled (and optionally license electronically with) such as your Ethernet card, do that. If you don't care about electronic licensing and want to call in and license manually, just disable all network cards when you license.
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby greglotago » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:44 am

Hi, I have a similar problem in that one of my machines had a faulty wireless Ethernet card that I replaced (wasn't getting consistent access to the WAP). Now I have the fault where the copy of kioware lite that I have on this machine is not licensed. Is there any way to change the system code for the kiosk? Also what happens if the mobo of the machine that it's on dies (losing your on-board nic), would a call to the service centre rectify this?
greglotago

Postby awarnick » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:19 am

When your system code changes, and changes permanently because hardware changed, the only thing you can do is relicense the machine. There are a couple ways to do that.

1)
---
1. Go to our website and click Customer Login on the upper right.
2. Log in.
3. From your account page click View All Licenses.
4. Click the transaction you want to free from.
5. Click License this Product.
6. Click Req. Reset on the individual machine you want reset so that you can relicense.
---

2)
---
1. Go to our website and from the Support menu click Contact Us.
2. Select "Our Sales Team" (default).
3. Send sales an email from there with your transaction number and which machine you want freed, along with the reason you need a license freed.
---

3)
---
1. Call us:
toll free USA: 877-843-4790
International Calls: +1 717-843-4790
---
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
awarnick