Page in Adobe Flash being used to crash kioware

Discussion of KioWare Lite edition.

Moderators: Lynn, nwolf, jkruper, SAldinger, bbosley, awarnick

Page in Adobe Flash being used to crash kioware

Postby nik » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi, we run kioware on public, unmonitored touchscreen kiosk with windows 10. The only actions available to users are to select from a series of web pages and manipulate those pages (and follow links from them, provided that they point to an approved website.)

One such page is a large flash object that displays building info. This is a service we paid for and we don't have direct access to alter the page. I enabled flash using chrome flags, and it runs fine enough, but rapidly tapping some links will cause kioware to crash. It does restart itself, but there is a short delay in which the user has access to the desktop and its possible to remain outside kioware from there. I'm wondering if anybody has seen a similar issue with flash or any other links.

I did inquire, but there is no alternative to the page that does not use flash.

One other note, some links try to open in a new tab. We decided against showing tabs, so our solution was to allow a large number to be open at a time, but with 0 height so they can't be seen by users. When the kiosk resets after a session (anud a 30 second wait time with no input) the extra tabs are closed. The links which can crash the system are from within flash, and they attempt to open a blocked link, in a new tab.

Thanks for your help
nik

Re: Page in Adobe Flash being used to crash kioware

Postby nwolf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:01 am

Hi there,

A few questions regarding your setup and the issues you're running into:

What version of KioWare are you running? KioWare Classic (7.x based on IE) or, KioWare for Windows (8.x based on Chrome)?
Does this same behavior occur in standalone instances of either IE or Chrome (based on the answer to my first question)?
Are there any entries in the Windows Event Viewer that give information about this error?
-If KioWare Classic: Windows Logs > Application
-If KioWare for windows: Applications and Services Logs > KW Platform

If KioWare Classic, you may be another victim of a Flash bug.

You may be running into the "Flash only loads once" bug in Flash that Adobe refuses to fix. Fortunately, there is a workaround:

http://www.kioware.com/faqs.aspx?id=2144795532
Nick Wolf
KioWare Support
nwolf@kioware.com
nwolf

Return to KioWare Lite