Kioware Installer Failed to Install

Discussion of KioWare Kiosk Basic, Remote Monitoring, or Full editions.

Moderators: Lynn, nwolf, jkruper, SAldinger, bbosley, awarnick

Kioware Installer Failed to Install

Postby shawnhopkins » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:03 am

Just randomly Kioware stopped working on one of our kiosks. I could not launch the Config Tool or Kioware itself. Event log entries are below for when the product was installed.

Trying to reinstalled and the installer keeps finishing with a message "Install failed". I've looked in registry for remnants and the Program Files (including x86) folders. Nothing in both.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kioware Event Log:

An unhandled exeption occurred in the Kioware Config Tool:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at ADSI.Kioware.Client.Platform.ConfigTool.Program.SetupCommandLineArgs() at ADSI.Kioware.Client.Platform.ConfigTool.Program.Main(String[]args)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An unhandled exeption occurred in AppDomain 'Kioware Client.exe'
System.TypeInitializationException: The type of initializer for 'ADSI.Kioware.Client.Platform.Client.KioApp' threw an exception. --->
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at ADSI.KioWare.Client.Platform.Client.KioApp..cctor()
---End of inner eception stack trace ---

at ADSI.Kioware.Client.Platform.Client.KioApp.set_IsFirstInstance(Boolean value)
at ADSI.Kioware.Client.Platform.ConfigTool.Program.Main(String[]args)
shawnhopkins

Re: Kioware Installer Failed to Install

Postby awarnick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:39 pm

If the KioWare installation fails there will not be much information about why it failed readily seen. Luckily, the installer logs a ton of information to disk in several log files. To view the log files:

Open the Windows file browser and type %temp% in the pathbar and press Enter.
Click the Date modified header so that the most recent files come to the top (you may need to click it twice).
Open the log file that starts with KioWare_Client_Platform and ends with KioWarePlatformMsi.
Press Ctrl+F and type return value 3.
Somewhere in that vicinity, the reason the install failed will be explained.
If you are not able to find the reason, or the reason does not make sense to you, you may send us all the recent log files that begin with KioWare_Client_Platform.

NOTE: The most common reason for failure is not being able to create the KioskUser account from the installer, and it's normally because your password complexity requirements are very strict. The easy fix is to use a complex password instead of the default that is filled in. If you don't actually care about creating a user, simply clear out the textboxes.
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
877 843-4790 x490 (Toll Free USA)
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby awarnick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Do you have a virus scanner that could be corrupting the installation? For example, we just received word today that Avast is incorrectly flagging our software as a virus.
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby shawnhopkins » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:16 am

I normally clear the user account boxes because we have one already created for use.

No AV is currently installed.

Yesterday I had one Kiosk working, then after a reboot, same problem started happening where Kioware and even the Kioware Config tool won't launch. In the even viewer are application errors as indicated in my original post.
shawnhopkins

Postby shawnhopkins » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 am

Here is what I've done and found so far:

Whether I specify a user to create or not, Kioware beings the installation and even copies files to the Program Files (x86)\Kioware Client Platform folder. Shortly after it rolls back the installation and removes the files.

No AV installed, Windows Defender turned off, User account control turned to minimum, Windows Firewall off, also tried created a different admin account.

Last I even tried right-clicking and running installer as an admin.
shawnhopkins

Postby awarnick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

Were you running an old version of KioWare such as 8.4 when the problems started? If so, one of the settings files is probably corrupt.

Try renaming the paths below so that KioWare can't load them:
Note that the first two are files.
C:\ProgramData\KioWare Client\KioWareClientSettings.kwconfig
C:\ProgramData\KioWare Client\ConfigToolSettings.json
C:\Users\adsi490\AppData\Local\KioWare_Client_Platform\SystemSessions
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby ninja007 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:22 am

awarnick wrote:Were you running an old version of KioWare such as 8.4 when the problems started? If so, one of the settings files is probably corrupt.

Try renaming the paths below so that KioWare can't load them:
Note that the first two are files.
C:\ProgramData\KioWare Client\KioWareClientSettings.kwconfig
C:\ProgramData\KioWare Client\ConfigToolSettings.json
C:\Users\adsi490\AppData\Local\KioWare_Client_Platform\SystemSessions

How do i know which one is corrupt any clue?
ninja007

Postby awarnick » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:42 am

It will either be empty or full of strange characters.
Andrew Warnick
KioWare Support
+1 717 843-4790 x490
awarnick
Support Team Member

Postby shawnhopkins » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm

I wound up resetting the PC. So still no idea why it would fail on installation.
shawnhopkins

Return to KioWare Kiosk Basic/Remote/Full